Monday, September 15, 2008

The Russian-Georgian Conflict

For this week I read a BBC article on the Georgian conflict. It concerns me that a country like Russia can just invade and now try to seperate parts of Georgia from the rest simply because they were unhappy with the direction Georgia was going. Russia's actions smack of soviet-era views where Russia would not allow any disent in the countries surrounding it so as to shield it. Now that Russia is attempting to remake their former soviet block it is more important then ever to allow Georgia to join NATO. Georgia has shown great democratic reform and progress and the fact that we have made great good will with them and then when they needed help we didn't come. The fact now though, that the EU is sending 500 million euros in aid and attempting to speed Georgia's acceptance into NATO shows great conviction and a good move against Russia's bullying tactics.

"Russia to keep troops in Georgia". BBC. 9/21/08 .


2 comments:

Sean C. said...

In my opinion, people calling for US involvement in this are sorely misguided. We are already stretched too thin, and while this may be a just cause, there are too many other just causes to justify this one. Especially with these recent tax cuts we don't need to go any further into debt. I say, we wait and see how this plays out. Don't get too involved too early.

Carolynnn said...

Do you know what is currently going on with Russia and Georgia? I know that they had some military conflict around a month ago... does that seem right? I know my opinion agrees with the fact that Georgia should be in NATO, but also, isn't there another side to this story (I'm not saying it's right, but there is another side). I'm sure the Russians felt like they were right to do that. I think Russia felt a little betrayed because Georgia wanted to join the West. It kind of has to make Russia think in a more world friendly way.
I also agree with Sean about how we shouldn't get involved too early, hasty decisions sometimes aren't always the best.